Monday, May 17, 2010

"Jai Bhagwan"















This week I’ve thought a lot about the concept of freedom and how that translates into my life and I began to notice how free Kripalu really is. There happens to be no locks on any of the dorms in the “hill house” which is where I live. So during the day, my room stays open and free to the wild and whatever else. People walk around in the main building with no shoes on, the trees and leaves grow in all places and all directions, no one is clothed in the women’s sauna and bunny rabbits hop around your feet if you eat lunch outside on the picnic tables (had to do a double-take for that one myself). I went for a guided hike in the woods Thursday (my first official hike) and the stillness of the forest really gives way for you to come as you are. I went with 15 people and we all hiked in silence; the trees made me speechless even if I wanted to talk I was without words. Please enjoy the hike pictures attached by the way. That’s the tree pose we all did on a cliff overlooking a ravine and mountainous, vast, space that is Stockbridge; beautiful right? I did, in fact, pee in the woods which was closely reminiscent of my SMART Ride experience and oddly reminded me of home. Hikes are no joke around here and you have to be agile, in shape and extremely careful. I had to go all fours a few times just to squeeze in between slippery rocks up the side of a mountain. I was also told a series of stories about being mindful of ticks that land in your hair as you walk along. I checked myself like a monkey does its young upon my return to ensure I was all clear. I learned various things this week relating to freedom such as the liberation and inhibition of more yoga dance. Various guests approached me while I was cleaning tables in the dining room to point out that I was quite a brave dancer in not following the teacher’s instructions but rather in the corner all by myself dancing with my eyes closed and creating my own moves. They went on to tell me it was inspiring to see me let go of the world and be so vulnerable. I never thought of it that way but I’m glad they brought that to my awareness as it gave me more to be grateful for in this experience. I’m equally as grateful for dish crew tasks. I’ve assigned a mantra to each dish duty. For example, when I put away the pots, pans, spatulas, strainers, pitchers etc. I think “there is space in this world for everyone no matter how they come or who they are.” When I take clean dishes off the machine I think “clean and fresh people go into the world and serve their purpose better than heavy, weighted down people.” My favorite task though is refilling the glass bottles of oil, vinegar, tamari etc. and then washing them gingerly and lovingly like a baby Buddha. I think “being absolutely present and paying attention to detail in self-nurturing generates great joy.” I’m embarrassed to say that while filling the vinegars I almost shed a tear the other day thinking of this concept. It just blew my mind. Speaking of freedom, at Kripalu, they love crying by the way. I learned in my weekly volunteer group to do the following when emotions are rising up: Breathe, Relax, Feel, Watch and Allow. I naturally do the opposite in the real world. Skillfulness in action here translates into “acting dynamically in ways that reliably produce more thriving.” So I’ve been really thinking about thriving too and how to maximize that. Although back home I became proud and boastful of surviving the tough day, surviving isn’t what life is really about I think. The magic happens when we can learn to maneuver life while ‘thriving’ on its challenges. That is real freedom I’m learning. Along with “Namaste” yoga teachers say “Jai Bhagwan” [ji-baa-gwan] which is “victory to spirit” in Sanskrit. “Jai Bhagwan” is a greeting and hope for a thriving, free, alive, spirit. What a beautiful way to say hello or goodbye to people? I challenge you to give out a “Jai Bhagwan” to someone this week. I will do the same. Light and love…..

p.s. I work Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, Sunday so blog updates are easier for me in the middle of the day when I’m off Monday.

p.p.s. I’d like to give a shout-out to the Ladies of Divinity; may you all continue to find victory and peace in your own spirits.

p.p.p.s If you want to send me mail this is the address:
Candice Carreno
Kripalu Center c/o PATH
P.O. Box 309
57 Interlaken Road
Stockbridge, MA 01262

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 17, 2010

    A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

    I get so excited to read your newest adventure. You already look so refreshed and centered!

    I hope the universe will grant me the opportunity to visit Kripalu soon, while you are there!

    I can't to read more!!

    Jai Bhagwan

    XOXO,

    Kisbel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely lady of freeness. I am so thankful to you for sharing the beauty of your adventure with me. Your pose is so you and I really find it fitting that your spontaneous freedom and creativity in a structured yoga class would be invigorating for most that are trying to tap into the freedom that you exhibit. Wow that was a mouthful. Love you lovely lady of freeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    Candice,

    Love it! Very inspiring blog and pics. I can tell you're really in your element. Just popping in to say hi (along with Chi-Chi)...I'll write more later.

    Sending love and light,

    Alex

    P.S. Chi-Chi says hurry on back - he misses you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candice,

    Love reading your blogs and hearing how your doing! Miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete